Paleo Dark Chocolate Cherry Chunk Espresso Brownies
I’m kind of torturing myself right now on a multitude of levels. One, I’ve made the decision to take a couple weeks off from CrossFit which also means I’ll be missing running the Warrior Dash with my husband and friends next weekend. Two, I am on Day 1 of another 21-day sugar detox and posting this damn recipe is some form of punishment for apparently being an a-hole in a past life. I had such great results with the detox last time that way outweighed the shitty so I have three more planned in the next few months to help me get to where I want to be by my birthday in November.
It’s good timing in one sense because last time I did it, I had dramatic negative effects on my energy and it directly affected my WODs and lifting tremendously (which is not common and some people are the opposite). With the planned CF break, maybe the effects of the detox will be less awful. I fully expect I’ll be a full-on psycho hose beast in a few days but maybe not sucking so badly at my workouts will help me deal with it a little better.
Anyway I made this a week or so ago as an experiment and I let my friends test them out (I don’t think they mind being testers so much, ha!)
They came out so good that I made them again for a potluck party at the gym last night and I promised I would get these up as soon as I could, despite my own horror as I fed the kids the last of them this morning without even a taste. As you can see here, I made a double batch and used two long pans. I think they come out better this way – thin and crispy on edges but still soft and gooey in middle.
I am also lucky enough to live in a place with an amazing selection of local “paleo” jams and preserves made only with fruit and local honey so it’s easy to just take a small amount of the cherry/berry preserves and put it on top to pull the whole brownie in. You can, of course, make extra cherry/coffee/honey reduction and use that as a topping or skip it altogether. I find it’s a matter of preference.
Recipe: Paleo Cherry Espresso Brownies
- 2 c. almond butter
- 3 eggs
- 8-10 oz dark cherries, frozen
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. honey
- 3 heaping tbsp. instant coffee, dark roast
- 1/3 c. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2-3/4 c. dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp. organic cherry preserves made with honey (optional)
- In a saucepan on medium, add the cherries, honey, vanilla, coffee, and cocoa powder.
- Bring to a low boil and simmer for 5-10 mins until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature (or use an ice bath to get the temp down quickly).
- Using a blender (immersion, magic buller, or otherwise), blend this until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, blend together almond butter, eggs, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add the cherry mixture to the almond butter mixture.
- Lastly, gently fold in the roughly-chopped dark chocolate.
- Pour/spread (batter will be thick) into a nonstick brownie pan (or line with parchment) till only about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cook at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Let cool fully and then top with a thin layer of cherry/berry organic preserves (or make a little extra of the cherry reduction and use that!)
- This will make two 9X9 brownie pans or one long one