Thai Turkey Meatballs with Coconut Curry Bok Choi
I’ve been on a bit of a Thai kick ever since I made my homemade Tom Kha Gai. It’s crazy how daunting something until you try it and then it opens you up to a whole new world of bravery.
I had some ground turkey leftover from our weekly spinach turkey burgers that we eat like crazy, so I figured I’d try something a little different when I picked up baby bok choi this week at the store. I used many of the same ingredients from the Tom Kha Gai pictured here:
And like I mentioned in the post, I find these ingredients almost indispensable. They last through a few recipes and it’s like having fresh items on hand without the hassle of going to the store or having items go bad.
I used my KitchenAid to mix these meatballs and they came together super quickly. I browned them in a steel skillet with coconut oil and then stuck the whole shebang in the oven to finish cooking. As a tip, when you place the meatballs in the pan, start with the outside and work your way in a circle around the pot, and then work towards center. This way, by the time you put your last meatball in the middle, the ones on the edges are ready to be turned. Once browned, stick in the oven for 15 minutes or so at 400 to finish the cooking.
The bok choi coconut curry sauce was also really easy, but be careful because this stuff does cook down. I started out with a 32-ounce package and what started out looking like this:
Eventually ends up looking like this:
I made the sauce while the meatballs were finishing off in the oven and then I tossed them right in and the end product was really amazing – sweet and creamy with a good amount of heat. You can control the heat by the amount of Sriracha sauce you use.
Recipe: Thai Turkey Meatballs with Coconut Curry Bok Choi
For the meatballs:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 1/2 tsp lemongrass paste
- 1-3 tsp Sriracha sauce (depending on spice preference)
- 1 1/2 tsp. ginger paste (or fresh minced ginger)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. basil flakes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. coconut flour, sifted
- coconut oil for pan-cooking
For the Bok Choi
- 1/2 c. chicken stock
- 1 tbsp red curry
- 1/2 tsp. lemongrass paste
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 c. coconut cream (the thick stuff in the can before you shake it)
- For the meatballs, add all ingredients in order except coconut flour and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add in the coconut flour so lumps do not form.
- Form into small balls and brown in a pan on medium-high with 2 tbsp coconut oil, then transfer to oven for 15 minutes till cooked through.
- Just bake the meatballs at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
- For the sauce, in a large saucepan, add chicken stock, curry paste, lemongrass, ginger, and coconut cream and whisk till combined over medium heat.
- Add in the bok choi, cover, and lower to simmer, stirring occasionally. The bok choi will steam and wilt.
- When the meatballs are done, toss them in with the bok choi, coat, and serve.