This was one of those things I threw together on a whim on a Sunday night because I happened to have the ingredients on hand and pineapple + coconut = awesome. Also, it literally took 10 minutes to make the batter, pour them in the tins, and clean up. My kind of treat.
I used coconut cream in this recipe, which is simply the thick part of the coconut milk in the can. So, in short, don’t shake the can before you open it. I also used honey to sweeten this but I think agave would work too. I sprinkled a very small amount of organic turbinado sugar on top to give it a crunch, but this is optional of course. Turbinado is raw cane sugar and since it’s less processed, it retains some of the molasses flavor like brown sugar. A very tiny sprinkle creates a great crunch and an awesome muffin topper. I use this kind and literally used maybe 1 tbsp for the entire batch, but you can leave this out and the muffins are just as good.
Mike and I and the kids loved them but I never trust the people I live with 100% so I made another batch this morning (as I always do to double check my recipes) and brought them to my 3:30 Crossfit class. The reviews were all great with one of my friends saying she liked them better than my infamous Bananacado Fudge Cupcakes, so that’s saying something.
One tip I will give you is to use muffin/cupcake papers. Otherwise, no matter how well you think you grease your tins, you will end up scrubbing them later.
Recipe: Paleo Pina Colada Muffins
- 1/4 c. coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 c. almond meal
- 1/2 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 c. crushed pineapple
- 1/4 c. honey
- 3 tbsp. coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp. coconut extract (optional)
- turbinado cane sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients (except for turbinado) together in one bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Add wet to dry and stir thoroughly.
- Pour into muffin liners to 3/4 full; these do not rise very much.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Makes 12 muffins.