Paleo Crockpot Jambalaya Soup
This recipe was my guest post over at Food Renegade last year but I figured I’d re-post it here at the tailend of this winter and right before Mardis Gras!
It was originally inspired by my husband’s cold. Nothing clears the sinuses quite like a spicy jambalaya. This version is quite spicy but can be altered to your tastes by lowering the amount of hot sauce or using a less spicy sausage. I used this beautiful organic nitrate/hormone-free spicy Andouille I got from my local supermarket.
I also used four peppers – green, red, orange and yellow and cut them coarsely. They look so pretty and fresh!
Recipe: Paleo Crockpot Jambalaya Soup
- 5 c. chicken stock.
- 4 peppers – any color you want, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large can of organic diced tomatoes (leave the juice)
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 bay leafs
- 1 lb large shrimp, raw and de-veined.
- 4 oz. chicken, diced
- 1 pkg spicy Andouille sausage
- 1/2-1 head of cauliflower
- 2 c. okra (optional)
- 3 tbsp Cajun Seasoning* (see below for how-to or use your own)
- 1/4 c. Frank’s Red Hot (or hot sauce of your choice)
*How to Make Your Own Cajun Seasoning (from Emeril!):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- (Yields about 2/3 c.)
- Put the chopped peppers, onions, garlic, chicken, cajun seasoning, Red Hot, and bay leafs in the crockpot with the chicken stock. As you can see, I grabbed a container of my homemade stock directly from the freezer and threw it in. Set on low for 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before it’s finished, toss in the cut up sausages.
- While this is cooking quickly make cauliflower rice by pulsing raw cauliflower in the food processor until it resembles rice.
- For the last 20 minutes, add in the cauliflower rice and the raw shrimp. Note: You can choose to quickly steam the cauliflower rice in the microwave and serve the jambalaya OVER it as well.
- Enjoy clear sinuses!!