- 1 pound spinach, frozen or fresh
- 1 cup cream, preferably from grass-fed cows
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (from sourdough or sprouted bread)*
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese*
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese*
- 1/4 pound liver
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef
- 4 eggs, preferably from pasture-raised hens
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 10 slices bacon
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 T. rapadura
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- Hot sauce, to taste
Paleo and Primal Options
If you’re dairy-free, substitute bone broth for cream, omit cheese. Increase spinach to 2 pounds.
If also grain-free, omit cream, and cheese. Substitute 1 1/4 cups almond flour for 2 cups bread crumbs (no need to soak).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, soak bread crumbs with cream (or bone broth if DF).
- If you are using fresh spinach, lightly steam, plunge into an ice bath, and then use your hand to squeeze liquid out of the steamed and cooled greens.
- Mince garlic and parsley. Grate parmesan and cheddar cheeses, but keep separate.
- Place liver in food processor with s-blade. Pulverize liver to a paste.
- Add parmesan, liver, beef, eggs, minced garlic and parsley, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper to the soaked bread crumbs. Combine well with clean hands.
- Lay out a sheet of parchment paper (about 18 inches) and spread the meat mixture into a layer 1/2 inch thick on the sheet. Sprinkle optional cheddar cheese over the meat, and then top evenly with the drained spinach.
- Using the parchment paper to help you, start to form a roll, using the paper to push the meat forward. Once you have it rolled, carefully place your meatloaf in the center of a casserole dish.
- Wrap the bacon slices over top, tucking them under the sides of each loaf.
- Mix your sauce ingredients together.
- Spread a third of the remaining sauce over the top of your meatloaf and spread it to cover the bacon, then bake for 45 minutes. Pull the pan out of the oven and spread another third of the sauce over the top. Return it to the oven for fifteen minutes or so, or until the center of your meatloaf reaches 155-160F with a meat thermometer.
- Serve with sauce on the side.