Grain-Free Paleo Blueberry Crumb Muffins
I had made this recipe a while back and sacked it away in my imaginary cookbook secret stash, but after making them for a few friends it’s been deemed they need to go live. Or there were some threats against life and limb. And pets. It was originally posted over at The Spunky Coconut as a guest post while she was having her baby. If you need any more grain-free “paleo” ideas like this, her cookbooks (The Spunky Coconut Cookbook) and website are full of amazing recipes!
Last time I made these, I fiddled around with the recipe and made paleo blueberry cake donut holes – dense little balls of goodness (heh. I said “balls.” Yes. I’m 12). I promise I’ll get that up soon. I have to make them again to double check the measurements but this recipe that started it all is just as awesome.
Yes, you have to use dried blueberries in this. Fresh or frozen will have too high of a moisture content for the recipe. Also, the chia seed meal adds a wonderful source of Omegas while also acting as an egg replacer. I haven’t made this solely without eggs or chia seed meal so I don’t know the exact ration exchange if you decide to do so.
Recipe: Grain-Free Blueberry Crumb Muffins
- • ½ c pitted dates
- • 1 tbsp honey
- ½ dropper vanilla crème liquid stevia
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ c. applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ c. chia seed meal
- 1/3 c. coconut flour, sifted
- 2/3 c. buttermilk , fresh whey, or yogurt
- ½ c. dried blueberries
- 1 tbsp sucanat
- Put dates in food processor or blender and turn on.
- When the pieces are small, drizzle in the honey.
- Add stevia, applesauce and melted butter. You may need to stop and push down sides with a spatula a few times.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add in eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, stir the baking soda, coconut flour, and chia seed meal.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture.
- Stir in buttermilk
- Pour into cupcake mold and sprinkle lightly with sucanat for crispy sweet top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until cooked through