Balsamic Grilled Cherry Tomato Summer Salad
Why yes I have been on a grilling kick, thanks for noticing. Last time we made kabobs we forgot the cherry tomatoes and I was sad because I love them on the grill. I wish I could say I used tomatoes from my own garden but alas, since the last frost out here wasn’t until the end of May, all six of my tomato plants are just getting green little buggers. Hopefully soon. And maybe one day I’ll live in a place where I can actually plant my summer plants before the middle of the summer. And have a pool boy names Hans. Ah, I digress.
I suppose you could make this without grilling the tomatoes but the smokey flavor is part of what pairs so well with the feta, and the crispy cleanness of the cucumber is perfect with the dill. The balsamic adds a little bite while marrying all the flavors. I served this with my Provolone-Stuffed Prosciutto Burgers and Oven-Roasted Artichokes for dinner the other night when Sarah was visiting and I’m pretty sure we all licked our plates.
Recipe: Balsamic Grilled Cherry Tomato Summer Salad
- 2 c. cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. balsamic
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 c. cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 1/4 c. diced onion, red or sweet
- 2 tsp. dill, fresh or freeze-dried
- 1/2 c. feta
- Place the cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil in a container the night before if possible. (Optional: poke the tomatoes with a fork or sharp knife point to let the marinade into the tomato.)
- After they’ve had a good soak, remove from marinade (but save!) place them on skewers and grill 1 minute on each side, flipping twice.
- Let cool, and slice them in half and place back in bowl with the balsamic and olive oil.
- Add in remaining ingredients and chill at least a couple hours.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4