Back in the day, I used to love Red Lobster. I know, guys, I KNOW. But it was one of the first restaurants I remember going to with my grandmother and Aunt Helen. That and Sizzler. Yes, I was a senior citizen trapped in a seven-year old apparently.
Still, you couldn’t beat their Cheddar Bay Biscuits: ooey gooey cheesy herby biscuits of yummy goodness. And since my goal in life is to not only never feel deprived of the gluten-laden foods we can no longer eat but make them healthier, I set out to make my own totally grain-free. I served these at Mother’s Day dinner last month when my non-gluten-free mother-in-law was visiting and she even loved them! I was pleased with the texture and the flavor and they are incredibly nutrient dense.
Recipe: Grain-Free “Cheddar Bay” Biscuits
- 2 c. almond flour
- 1 c. flax meal
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c. whey or buttermilk
- 1 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. parsley, dried or finely chopped fresh
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs and add the whey/buttermilk/fresh garlic.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Stir in cheddar cheese. Mixture will be goopy.
- Scoop onto parchment (yes, you must use parchment) sheets into 8-10 biscuit shapes.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (depending on the size you choose to make) until the edges are brown and center cooked through. Just keep an eye on them.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: snack