Hawaiian Stuffed Burgers
Ask and ye shall receive. It was a close race between these and the Salmon Burgers with only a couple of votes separating the two. It was cool to see what you guys are interested in!
I actually made these a few months ago the same night I made the Prosciutto-Stuffed Burgers – I was experimenting and these came out so good, I decided to stock them away in my “Secret Stash” for the book. But I guess it’s good to post now since these will be great for summer, especially on the grill.
As I mentioned with the Prosciutto-Stuffed Burgers, make sure you use large burgers and seal them well so little, if any, cheese leaks out. Also, if you do plan to grill these, I recommend using the top rack and putting foil below in the event the cheese does ooze out. Of course, if you’re dairy-free simply omit the cheese!
What you need:
For the burgers
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 splash GF Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp GF BBQ sauce
- 8 slices ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
For the Chutney
- 1 c. crushed pineapple
- ½ c. mandarin oranges
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
What you do:
- Mix the meat with the mustard, Worcestershire and BBQ sauce.
- Take some meat, form patty, stuff with two slices ham, one slice swiss. It works best if you wrap the ham around the cheese; this helps it from oozing out.
- Cover with more meat and form a patty. Burgers will be large
- Brown in cast iron skillet (optional)
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or grill until temp reaches 165. If you grill, you may want to do so on foil so any cheese doesn’t leak into the coals.
- Serve over greens and top with chutney