- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (preferably a Paleo-friendly brand, read labels), divided use
- 8 slices ham
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (optional)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- ½ cup mandarin oranges
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- Mixed greens, for serving
Mix the beef with the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon of the barbecue sauce. Divide the meat into 8 patties of equal size. Place 1-2 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese in the center of a patty. (It works best if you wrap the ham around the cheese to keep it from oozing out during cooking.) Cover the ham and cheese with another meat patty, making sure all of the edges are sealed. Repeat, using up the rest of the ingredients. The burgers will be quite large.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of barbecue sauce with the pineapple, oranges, and tamari. This will be your burger topping.
Heat a grill to medium-high. Grill the burgers over foil to catch any melted cheese until they are cooked to your preference. Serve burgers topped with the fruit sauce, over mixed greens.
Makes 4 burgers