Disclaimer: These were delicious. They would have been MORE delicious if I could have successfully pan fried them as I originally intended. However, with two kids underfoot, I had a hard time monitoring the temperature (and this new apartment has a god-forsaken electric range) and it was just easier for me to stick them in the oven.
I used Tilapia filets because that’s what we had in the freezer. I recommend not defrosting the fish and slicing it into the “sticks” while it’s still mostly frozen – it’s way easier.
Recipe: Grain/Gluten-Free Oven-Fried Fish Sticks
- 4 Tilapia filets
- 1 c. almond flour, sifted
- 1/2 c. coconut flour, sifted
- 2 tsp Old bay Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 eggs, beaten with a splash of water
- 2 tbsp butter OR coconut oil, melted
- Slice the fish into “sticks” -try to do this while the fish is frozen if possible.
- Mix the flours, Old Bay, and Parmesan and lay on a flat plate.
- Dip the fish into the beaten egg first, then roll into the flour mixture.
- Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- With a pastry brush (or, um, one of your daughter’s paintbrushes if that’s all you can find. Ahem), “paint” each side of the fish sticks with the melted butter or coconut oil. This will ensure both sides get browned and crispy.
- Bake at 450 for 15-25 minutes, checking often. Every oven really is different.
Diet (other): Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner