“I really want a cinnamon roll,” says my sick husband on the couch. The same husband who has a positive Celiac antibody test.
“No, you don’t. Now shush and watch the game.” Miami is losing to Green Bay at this point and I think any whining is bad juju.
“Fine, then I want an apple turnover.”
“How about if you’re quiet, during halftime I finagle some kind of apple cinnamon bread to hit your cravings without having you fall off the grain-free wagon face first into a pile of nutritionally useless calories?
“Fine. It better be good,” he snarks and blows his nose.
And thus, this was born. And LAWDY jeebus, let me tell you this: It’s like apple CAKE! Moist, delicious, perfect for a fall morning’s breakfast (not that I’d know since I’m shunning baked goods for a few weeks till I beat this plateau). But the bite I had was amazing and I can actually hear the cake right now, calling me from the kitchen. Jerky cake.
The best part? This is ridiculously simple and easy and you should have all of the ingredients already.
Grain-Free Flourless Apple Spice Bread With Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
What you need:
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional but YUM)
- 2 c. almond butter (unsweetened)
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg.
What you do:
- In a saucepan, combine apples, vanilla, orange juice and a cinnamon stick. If you don’t have one, use a dash of cinnamon. Simmer on low until apples are soft and only a small amount of juice (around 1 tbsp) remains.
- In a food processor, blend the almond butter, eggs, baking soda, maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Chances are it will form a giant ball like this:
- That’s okay because now you add the apples and pulse it a few times until it looks like this.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until passes the toothpick test.
- For the frosting, simply mix 1/4 c. cream cheese, 1/4 c. greek yogurt, 1 tbsp maple syrup and spread on top. Garnish with a walnut.